Introduction to Arabic Morphology
This course will cover the main areas of Arabic morphology in a systematic and easy-to-follow manner. Students will cover the classifications of verbs with regards to time, tense, mood, and different forms.
Upon successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the varying grammatical morphology.
- demonstrate basic understanding of the different scales of Arabic verbs.
- differentiate and apply gender, number and form structures to verbs.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of conditions for construction of verbs and nouns
- attain competency in the different forms of the verb
- attain competency in the different forms and classifications of nouns and sentences
- gain in-depth knowledge of additional implied and articulate meanings
- attain measurable improvement in reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills
- Classifications of verbs with regard to time periods
- Subjunctive, jussive and nominative cases of the imperfect verb tense
- Introduction to the forms of trilateral verbs
- Strong and weak verbs
- Classification of verbs between weak-ending (mu’atil al-akhar) and correct-ending (sahib al-akhar) verbs
- Constructive and classified (al-mabni and al-mu’arab) verbs
- Classification of verb constructions and practice
- The quadrilateral verb and its forms (voices, states, moods and numbers)
- Verbs and state of tenses (perfect, imperfect indicative, future perfect, imperfect subjunctive and others)
- The moods of the verb
- The energetic and imperative verbs
- Government of the verbs (accusative, adverbial, propositions)