Introduction to Arabic Morphology
This course will cover the main areas of Arabic morphology in a systematic and easy-to-follow manner. Students will cover the classifications of verbs with regards to time, tense, mood, and different forms.
Upon successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the varying grammatical morphology.
- demonstrate basic understanding of the different scales of Arabic verbs.
- differentiate and apply gender, number and form structures to verbs.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of conditions for construction of verbs and nouns
- attain competency in the different forms of the verb
- attain competency in the different forms and classifications of nouns and sentences
- gain in-depth knowledge of additional implied and articulate meanings
- attain measurable improvement in reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills
- Classifications of verbs with regard to time periods
- Subjunctive, jussive and nominative cases of the imperfect verb tense
- Introduction to the forms of trilateral verbs
- Strong and weak verbs
- Classification of verbs between weak-ending (mu’atil al-akhar) and correct-ending (sahib al-akhar) verbs
- Constructive and classified (al-mabni and al-mu’arab) verbs
- Classification of verb constructions and practice
- The quadrilateral verb and its forms (voices, states, moods and numbers)
- Verbs and state of tenses (perfect, imperfect indicative, future perfect, imperfect subjunctive and others)
- The moods of the verb
- The energetic and imperative verbs
- Government of the verbs (accusative, adverbial, propositions)
Excellent one day intensive on arabic sarf. Unique approach to understanding how arabic words are formed. This course is really for those who have prior arabic knowledge.