Introduction to Quranic Exegesis and Interpretation
The study of usul al-tafsir (the principles of Quranic exegesis) is part of the broader subject of ‘ulum al-Quran. The goal is to become acquainted with the essential aspects of the Scripture and rules of interpretation, to facilitate a deeper and more accurate understanding of Allah’s book.
The course provides an overview of the main features of the sacred text and the disciplines that are connected to it, so as to lay the foundation for the technical studies to follow.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the history of the development of Quranic exegesis
- Analyse and evaluate interpretations of the Quran in text and other literature
- Recognise different exegetical types
- Understand the form, structure, and coherence of the Quran
- Differentiate between muhkam and mutashabih (clear and ambiguous verses)
- Understand the notion of naskh (abrogation)