Islam, Women’s Rights and Feminism
This lecture looks at how Islam perceives the role of women in the contemporary context. It will focus on the rights and status afforded to women in Islam and the influence of different cultures and traditions, and their associated stereotypes. It provides a critical analysis of feminism in the context of modernity.
- The status and role of women prior to and during the Prophetic era
- Rights bestowed to women by Islam
- Women scholars of the past
- Oppressive cultural practices: domestic violence, arranged marriages, honour killing
- Muslim women’s image in the West
- Women’s rights movements, Feminism, and equality.
- Islam’s response to feminism
Upon successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the discourse on women’s right in Islam
- Understand the sources of women’s fundamental rights in Islam
- To understand the different feminist movements
- To destruct the notion of Islamic feminism