Physiology of Menstruation and Rules of Purification
This course provides an introduction to the topic of menstruation and is split into three parts. The first session introduces the Islamic legal rulings pertaining to menstruation as taught in Mukhtasar al-Quduri.
The second part of the course covers the physiological aspects relating to the menstruation cycle, such as its medical conditions, the distinctions between regular and irregular bleeding, the practice of contraception, termination of pregnancy, and other related issues. This session is delivered by a medical practitioner.
The third and final session details the way in which these matters affect one’s daily life, such as purification, prayers, fasting and Hajj. It covers detailed discussions on prohibited and permissible acts during menstruation.
Overall, this course will provide a general understanding of the fiqh of menstruation, and answer a wide variety of common question related to its medical aspects.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the practices of abortion and the various contraceptive methods
- Understand the physiology of the menstruation cycle
- Confidently recall the medical conditions pertaining to regular and irregular bleeding/discharge
- Understand the Islamic rulings behind menstruation, abortion and contraception methods
- Understand the fiqh of nifaas