Women Around the Messenger
This course examines the lives and contributions of several major female Companions (sahabiyyat) as well as their relationship with the Prophet. The introduction clarifies issues we face when analysing this subject historically such as the impact of culture upon our religious understanding as well as the contrast between earlier and later practices. The lives of the major female Companions are covered individually as well as their role and impact upon the Prophet, the early Islamic society, and their legacies. Topics such as gender equality, parenting, flexibility of the Islamic framework, as well as the importance of context are thoroughly discussed.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the role of the female companions (sahabiyyat) of the Prophet
- Understand the importance of retaining proper perspective in study and analysis
- Understand the uniquely central role of women within Islam, both of the sahabiyyat and today
- Understand the fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) relating to parenting in Islam
- Understand the fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) relating to gender equality and responsibilities